Thursday, October 18, 2012

"New" Living Room Chandeleir

Similar to my old brass light redo for our walk-in closet, I recently spray painted another brass fixture for our living room.  It used to hang in our dining room (now the office).


After removing the lovely gingham shades, I spray painted that baby white.  I chose white since there will be lots of other color in our living room (ahhh...the suspense) and I wanted the chandelier to blend in versus draw your eye to it/compete with the other pops of color.  
So, similar to last time, I used a cardboard box to contain most of the overspray. 



I used some satin finish white spray paint.  I believe it was Rustoleum.  It said paint and primer in one or something like that on the bottle.  If I wasn't lazy, I'd go out into the carport and snap a picture for you.  I haven't yet noticed a huge difference with brands, but maybe as I tackle more projects I'll form a strong love for a certain brand.  If so, I'll be sure to let you know.  As with all spray painting projects, the most important thing is to make sure that you keep the can moving and apply many thin coats.  I have little patience and have made the mistake of applying it too thick which resulted in pooling and dripping. I have to remind myself that it is okay if I can still see the original finish after the first or even the second coat.



After about 4-5 thin coats, she was lookin' good.  Seth hung her in the living room last week.  He even installed a dimmer for her so that we can set the mood light for movie watching.  :)



I still need to touch up the ceiling a bit, but it looks soooo much better than the outdated fan!  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions...