Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Thrift Store Score

I poke around thrift stores occasionally.  Usually, I leave empty handed.  I have never quite understood how some people can go in a thrift store and find an amazing piece of furniture for pennies.  I'm chalking it up to the fact that they generally live in larger cities and the selection of merchandise must be better and must change more frequently.

However, I did visit a thrift store a week or so ago and found what I think is a great deal. It was buried behind some other artwork, so I dug it out and stared at it for awhile before deciding for sure that it needed to come home with me.


It is one of the largest pieces of artwork that I've ever seen outside of an art museum.  It measures almost 30"x60"!  In the above photo, it is propped up against the pillows on our guest bed.  


And it was $19.98.  You may think I'm crazy since it's really not much to look at now (my apologies to the artist).  The painting itself certainly isn't our style but I've been inspired by all of the thrift store art projects on the web these days and I know I can turn it into something great.  Check out what other creative bloggers have done with theirs.



before



There are just so many ways that you can spruce up thrift store art.  You can't go wrong snatching up a cheap framed piece and redoing it to fit your design needs.  I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do with mine yet, but I'll let you know where I end up.  

Has anyone else tried their hand at some sprucing up a thrift store find?  I'd love to hear how it turned out and see some pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions...