Saturday, March 29, 2014

Colorful, Layered Art Spring Mantel

I finished decorating our mantel for Spring and I love the way it turned out.  I've long been a lover of layered artwork (like this, this, and this) so I decided to incorporate that into my Spring mantel.


I left my DIY antiqued mirror as the base layer and added a new print by Britt Bass over the top of it. To keep with the decorating rule of threes, I added a postcard sized print that Clare Elsaesser included with my most recent order (thanks, Clare!).  I used a piece of washi tape to secure it onto a wooden picture frame that I recently picked up at the thrift store.  I then attached the frame to the antiqued mirror with 3M picture hanging strips.

  
The turquoise vases are from Target.  The yellow flowers are my first attempt at coffee filter peonies. (I  roughly followed this tutorial and I think they turned out pretty well.)


The garland is another DIY project.  I used this finger knitting technique to make it one night while watching television.



To augment the bright, colorful look, I switched out the sparkly silver candles from Christmas for some fun orange ones that I found at Marshall's.


The cheer that the newly styled mantel brings to the living room is just perfect for Spring.



Here's a peek at a seldom viewed corner of our living room.


We still need to clean up the electric cords and I'd like to freshen up the storage inside our entertainment center but the living room is quickly becoming one of my favorite rooms in the house (and one of the closest to being "finished").



I hope everyone is experiencing some milder weather as we head into Spring.  I am ecstatic to feel 60 degree temperatures again.  (I really really dislike cold weather.)



I am also happy to report that almost all of the perennials we planted along our driveway last year appear to be making a comeback!  I'll share some pics in a couple months when they start blooming again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions...