Thursday, August 7, 2014

Bamboo Booth Projects

I'm back today with a few more makeovers that I did for the antique booth.  I am not sure what has happened to me, but I've been somewhat obsessed with bamboo and rattan furniture lately.  Am I going through a Golden Girls phase?  Yikes.  I hope not.  Seriously though, you've probably noticed it popping up in all kinds of spaces lately.  I think it is a great material that can be personalized to fit any space.  Check it out in this traditional space, this transitional space, and this more modern room.  So versatile, right?

First up is this amazing bamboo footstool that I snatched up at a yard sale.

As you can see, the caning on the top of the footstool had a small hole in it.  

I researched repairing cane and it looked pretty extensive.  There were a ton of steps and it seemed like a job suited for a pro.  So instead of trying to tackle repair, I opted to remove the cane and install an upholstered top.

I think it turned out pretty cute.  And I guess someone else agreed, because it has sold!

My second bamboo makeover was this table that I picked up at a local thrift store.  (It also came with a super thick, super heavy smoked glass top that had many small scratches on it.)  

It has gorgeous lines and I loved the color of the raw bamboo but there were many areas where the shiny, protective coat had worn off and the bamboo was badly weathered.

So I turned to spray paint.  (If anyone knows how to fix bamboo like this without paint, I'm all ears.)

I chose this fun, bright blue and ran with it.  (In hindsight, I wish I had gone with a slightly lighter, less in-your-face blue.)  Although I don't have pics, I primed the table first and then sprayed it with the blue.  It took FOREVER.  I guess I should have anticipated that considering its size.

The glass top was a nightmare.  The cost of a new, clear top was a lot more than I anticipated so replacing it was not an option.  Lesson learned.  Next, I called all the glass fabrication and glass repair shops in the area (including the automotive glass repair places) and was told that nobody had the equipment to polish out the scratches.  So, I started googling.  Some sites suggested using cerium oxide and a felt buffing pad.  I ordered a bag of cerium oxide from Amazon and paid extra for two day shipping because this was the weekend before the booth opening.  It arrived on Saturday and we got to work.

I'm not sure if the scratches were too deep, if we didn't have the proper equipment or what, but it was a bust.  The cerium oxide just built up in the scratches and made them more noticeable.  

So onto plan C.  Clear nail polish.  We painted it into the scratches and let it dry fully before using nail polish remover to wipe away the excess.  It wasn't a miracle solution, but it did make the scratches less noticeable and filled them in a bit.

I guess I didn't take any real "after" photos of the table by itself since we didn't place the glass on top until she was in my booth.  

Thus far, she is still available.  I think she would be an amazing piece for someone's sunroom or patio - a fun pop of color for an indoor/outdoor space.

So far, I've sold three items.  In three weeks.  If this keeps up, I probably won't be extending my contract after the initial three months are up.  Time will tell.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions...